Thursday, November 08, 2007

I'm A Loaner

In the last year, I've become a podcast junkie. Well, not a junkie, but I do have a handful of podcasts that I listen to regularly: the New York Times Book Review, NPR Books, Slate.com, Dave Ramsey, the Academy of American Poets poetcast, and sermons by friends and former pastors.

The Slate.com Daily Podcast recently included Bill Clinton's address to the Slate 60--a collection of the 60 most giving philanthropists over the last year. In his remarks, Clinton referred to an organization called Kiva, which provides individuals the opportunity to participate in loaning money to small businesses in developing countries (a.k.a. microfinancing). The idea intrigued me, so I visited the site. Loaners get to select the borrower they want to support, so I'm now contributing $25 toward a loan for a barber in Lebanon. Why did I select a barber, of all things? I suppose it's another Wendell Berry thing. Looking at the profiles of all these folks seeking a loan, I saw "barber" and thought of Jayber Crow. Who wouldn't want to support Jayber Crow?

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm comfortable with being a loaner rather than a giver. If anyone knows of a Kiva-like means of giving, let me know. Perhaps I'll revisit this issue when I've taken more time to think it through.

No comments: